Monday, March 05, 2007

Sammy Says Sammy's Good

I've just been reading some of the latest news from Spring Training on MLB.com and came across an article outlining Sammy Sosa's comeback trail in Texas and found it incredibly funny. Here's a couple of tid bits from the mouth of Sammy.

On hitting his first homer of ST : "When you are working so hard, you want to see results early," Sosa said. "It's good to get that one out of the way. Now I can relax. I was looking for that, so was everybody else." The question I ask is, who is everybody? Quite frankly I had more or less forgotten about him and thought his career had been swept under the carpet but I guess I'm in the minority.


"People like to see me play," Sosa said. "I've been blessed. I have good charisma and a good relationship with the fans. People love me out there. You're not going to take that away from me. I earned that." Am I the only person who finds that a wonderfully hysterical quote? That's right out of the book of Rickey satire. You could almost rewrite this as "People like to see Sammy play, Sammy has been blessed. Everyone loves Sammy because Sammy loves everyone because Sammy is great and no one can take that from Sammy because Sammy has earned what Sammy has."


I have to give it to Sosa, he has built up a wonderful little fantasy world around himself to protect him from the post BALCO/steroid backlash. I guess this comes easy when you believe the hype for so long.

No comments: